Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Juliet of the Spirits (1965)

More than a week since my last review? Clearly, I was in no hurry to talk about another art film. The main reason I moved it to the top of my queue was the promise of a focus on a woman. In that regard, it delivers.

There doesn't seem to be much in the way of plot progression. Juliet (Giulietta Masina, director Federico Fellini's wife and frequent star) has been leading an ordinary quiet, possibly upper-middle-class life. Before long from our perspective, two events start to make it more interesting for her: a seance followed by evidence that her husband is cheating on her. Juliet then spends much of her time exploring a more, shall we say, liberated lifestyle with the help of a friend (Sandra Milo) and hearing from exhorting spirits, real or imagined, whether she wants to or not. And somewhat like in A Christmas Carol, sometimes she sees her own past.

My previous experience of Fellini consists of two fairly credible melancholy tales of women, La Strada and Nights of Cabiria; and one meandering mental exploration, 8 1/2, which I didn't like as much, not least for its more questionable use of women. I'd say JotS combines elements of each, to mixed effect.

Fellini's first foray into full color is pretty colorful in both senses of the word. For once, the cinematography stands out to me. Juliet's visions of the sacred and profane are intoxicating if not dizzying and sometimes creepy, without the level of seeming randomness found in certain moments of Ingmar Bergman or Luis Buñuel.

The relative lateness of the release also allows more raciness than before, unless Fellini had simply been holding out for the option of pinkness. I'm not sure why anyone would censor a body part at one point in the film and not at another; maybe the total time of exposure counted, or maybe Fellini wanted to keep us on our toes (not the part in question). At any rate, I'm still less sure how to feel about the risque factor. It's not exactly here to bring lowbrows into the seats; it's more about sending a not-so-sexy message.

And what is the message? What I gather is threefold: (1) A troubled mind heads into strange territory, (2) it's tempting to abandon mainstream societal conventions altogether when abiding by them has led you to woeful betrayal, and (3) it's better to pursue independence than self-destruction. You could see it as a parable of female empowerment, albeit not in an ideal format.

I'm glad I checked out JotS, but I hesitate to recommend it to anyone not avidly pursuing a cinematic education. It's pretty divisive, and I can't confidently predict who will walk away satisfied. For my part, I expect to wait a long while before renting another Fellini.

No comments:

Post a Comment