Tuesday, March 15, 2016

The Enemy Below (1957)

I have discovered that despite my desire to mix old and new cinema, my streaming list is mostly new fare. Shall I blame Netflix's priorities? Anyway, I browsed the few 20th-century entries and picked one almost at random from a decade I hadn't tackled in a while.

Like some other war films I've reviewed here, it keeps the plot simple, even with its loose basis on a novel and its later inspiration of a couple TV episodes. In the South Atlantic, a U.S. destroyer under Captain Murrell (Robert Mitchum) battles a U-boat under Captain von Stolberg (Curd JΓΌrgens). Each captain is impressed at the other's tactics and struggles to work around them.

The one other name I recognized was Theodore Bikel, playing the German second-in-command with the amusing nickname of "Heinie." Naturally, there are no women on either ship.

A slight majority of the focus is on the destroyer crew, but we see enough on the U-boat (hearing a mix of German and English) to evoke other submarine movies, especially Das Boot. Contrary to some rumors, they did not have the same basis, besides the Second World War. As American WWII flicks go, TEB is pretty sympathetic to the Germans.

From my plot description, you might expect quite a mind game. The thing is, I couldn't really tell that either captain was brilliant. Perhaps I just don't have much of a head for military strategy.

The final shot is overlaid by a statement of gratitude to the U.S. Department of Defense and the U.S. Navy. They may have helped, but IMDb notes a fair number of factual errors in addition to plot holes, so don't take this picture as an authority. Not that you ever should look to movies for an education on real life.

Interestingly, director Dick Powell made multiple endings and let the test audience vote for one. They chose the happiest. Not only is there a low body count, but one American notably comes out less cynical than before the battle, thanks to an act of nobility.

Apart from that and some moments of exciting action, the main thing to like about TEB, if not the main thing to help it stand out, is Mitchum. That man has yet to let me down in any role. You might watch just for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment