Saturday, April 22, 2017

The Hill (1965)

No, it has nothing to do with Capitol Hill or any other famous real hill. I chose this film partly because I hadn't seen any work of Sidney Lumet's in a while, especially his early work, and partly because I hadn't seen any Sean Connery in a while. Neither is known for much in the subgenre in question.

The setting is a British Army prison camp in the Libyan Desert in World War II. Soldiers who committed various offenses wind up here, and depending on the judgment of the staff sergeant on duty, they may have to run repeatedly over a manmade hill. The first half to two-thirds of the movie has little plot beyond the general conflict between guards and prisoners, but when one climber drops dead (as summaries keep mentioning before long), the rest get restless in their desire to make the harshest screw answer for it, and the authorities bicker over how to handle the potential riot.

The focus is mainly on five prisoners in one cell, especially Connery's Joe Roberts, a convicted coward who sure doesn't show cowardice against his current oppressors. I've seen Connery in more than 20 movies by now, and honestly, this one may show off his best acting ever. I almost forgot it was him, despite his unmistakable presence.

Ossie Davis also deserves praise. He hasn't stood out much in other roles that I've seen, but I won't forget him after this. His Jacko King projects a defiantly cheerful air in the face of open racism for a while; at his breaking point, he cycles around to a whole new level of cheerful defiance with a twisted expression of pride.

Of course, pretty much all the cheer in this movie borders on delirious; in their situation, they'll take any joy they can. The five don't always get along swimmingly; one repeatedly asks for a cell transfer. (Quite a few lines get more or less repeated, come to think of it.) I won't say who dies, but I predicted it pretty early on. What I did not predict correctly was the ending, which feels mixed in a way befitting dramas of the period.

I suspect that much of the convincing acting has to do with authentic conditions. The hill doesn't look tall on camera, but between the actual desert sun and the full military equipment, I could see the men flagging after just one lap up, down, and back. It could not have been fun to make.

Adding to the serious affectation is the complete lack of music. I don't think anyone even sang at any point. For the most part, I didn't notice, except during the opening and ending with words on the screen (not all credits). Nothing says "Be shocked!" like silence at the end.

In some ways, the movie reminded me a little of The Shawshank Redemption. In some ways, it's better. Just don't watch when you want to feel good.

No comments:

Post a Comment