Saturday, July 29, 2017

Anand (1971)

Most Indian movies I've seen are from this century, if only because the IMDb top 250 skews recent. But IMDb also lists an Indian top 250, where this is #1. Not sure how that works when other Indian features appear on the overall top 250 and Anand doesn't, but I figured on giving it a try.

Oncologist Bhaskar makes a point to treat people who otherwise can't afford it. Making what he deems too little progress, he feels discouraged. His comrade Kulkarni also treats the poor, except by using payment from rich hypochondriacs. Then the title character turns up in their lives and checks in for hospice care. Anand has the kind of case that normally wouldn't help Bhaskar feel better: an incurable cancer due to kill within half a year. But Anand doesn't let that stop him from trying to be the life of the party, if you will.

A bit different from the hero of Ikiru that way. He's not in apparent denial; he just chooses to project an uplifting attitude. Every so often, he starts to slip into a funk, especially in later stages, but he won't talk about it. Is that healthy? Eh, doesn't make much difference with such a poor prognosis. And since we know this at the beginning, I might as well tell you: He doesn't pull through.

Early on, I feared that I was going to find Anand nigh insufferable, like Bruno in Il Sorpasso. But while a little on the unruly side, he doesn't strike me as inconsiderate. Indeed, he aims to brighten the lives of others, not merely have his own way. He may have a congenital inability to stop talking for long, but at least he admits to it. When he pushes Bhaskar into dating a crush, it works out well. The only people Anand troubles are the hostile rivals for his own crush's affection. Well, and the strict head nurse, until they reach an understanding.

I would caution against doing some of the things Anand enjoys. For example, he pretends to mistake strangers for old friends as an excuse to meet them, because one glance tells him that there's potential for a good new friendship. I shouldn't have to tell you my reservations against that method. Granted, I don't rightly know how I'd behave if I expected to die in mere months.

When Anand's behavior doesn't worry people, his chipperness is pretty infectious. He can even be disarmingly funny, to the point that I almost added a "comedy" tag.

Don't get the wrong idea from my musical tag: This isn't that kind of Bollywood flick. There's no dancing, the music sounds solemn, and only two characters ever sing. The lyrics have no subtitles, but that doesn't bother me; I tend to find music more beautiful without verbal distraction. Especially when, alas, this movie's subtitles are sloppy in spelling and punctuation.

Anand doesn't bring me as much joy as many other Indian films I could name, but it does its job. And at 122 minutes, it's easier to make time for than any of those.

No comments:

Post a Comment