Sunday, August 13, 2017

The Black Stallion (1979)

This is one of those titles I heard of as a kid but never got the initiative to check out. I couldn't have told you any difference between it and Black Beauty. Well, despite the recency of my last viewing based on a kid's book, I didn't wait any longer.

My sources don't say when and where it takes place, but from the book, I'm guessing the early '40s, starting on a ship departing North Africa and ending somewhere in the US. Alec, who's about 13, becomes a castaway along with an untamed Arabian horse who had been roped up on the ship. After they've done each other several good turns, Alec gets the stallion, whom he uncreatively dubs "the Black," to be more docile toward him. Upon rescue (much sooner than I predicted), Alec demands to take the Black with him. But life behind a suburban fence doesn't suit the Black....

The second half features a major role for Mickey Rooney as Henry, a retired jockey willing to teach Alec. Here's where the story looks less like Cast Away and more like an early Rooney classic, National Velvet. It seems rather improbable that a boy not finished with puberty would be allowed to race against pros -- on a horse with no papers, for that matter -- but perhaps I shouldn't underestimate the power of a strong demo.

Actually, the demo is harder on Alec than I ever anticipated. Having no personal experience riding horses, I learned a bit herein of how it's not as easy as most movies make it look, especially in heavy rain. If I ever do ride, I'll try to remember Henry's tips, barring instructions to the contrary.

I understand that the horse in question, Cass Ole, was a real racer. And an exceptionally cooperative equine actor, one scene notwithstanding. I can appreciate that.

It's a simple plot, all right. Yet it jumps around a bit, switching conflicts, moods, and genres almost. I'm sure it would be quite stimulating to young viewers. Older ones may have to adjust their patience settings, with many things taking either more time or less than they'd prefer.

Is there a moral? Not that I can tell. The story exists to excite people, especially youths, with at least a passing interest in horses. The author, Walter Farley, was happily surprised at the adaptation. I'll let you decide whether these reasons are enough to justify your viewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment