Sunday, August 12, 2018

Eighth Grade (2018)

This is the type of movie I don't normally watch in a theater nowadays, barring group invitations or award nominations. But it seems better for my mind not to associate solo outings with only blockbusters, documentaries, and re-released oldies. Besides, indies could use the financial support.

From the title, you might expect a nine-month timeline; instead, it's only the last week of eighth grade for Kayla. She has reasons to look forward to high school and, of course, vacation, but in the meantime, she still faces plenty of stress. Factors include a scarcity of friends, between the shyness of herself and the snobbishness of some peers; a loving but embarrassing father; and curiosity regarding the "bases," if you get my drift. (She remains a virgin, but there's a reason eighth-graders aren't allowed to see this in theaters without adult supervision.)

I suspect there are other stressors never made explicit. For example, Kayla's reluctance to attend a pool party might have to do in part with insecurity regarding appearance. The camera does seem to emphasize a less flattering look with her swimsuit, especially compared to other girls there, but nobody says anything about it. (She also has more facial acne than Hollywood likes to show on anyone.)

Right from the start, I perceived an aim for realism. In the first scene, Kayla makes an online video in a series dispensing attitudinal advice. Her presentation is so fumbling, inarticulate, and banal that I closed my eyes for much of it; no wonder she begs for more views. I'm not complaining, tho.

That wasn't the last time I looked away, because this comedy-drama often relies on a level of awkwardness (not all Kayla's) reminiscent of The Office. For the most part, the audience at my theater never went beyond chuckles. I think that's intentional. This is too real to be hilarious, but at least we can find a sort of amusement in sympathy, knowing that what Kayla experiences will pass, after all.

Obviously, older viewers such as myself didn't deal with social media, school shooter drills, or Kayla's semi-signature cracked smartphone when we were her age. We wouldn't have put messages to our future selves on USBs shaped like Spongebob. Such elements might form a bigger stumbling block to my ability to relate to Kayla than our genders. But much like an enjoyable sci-fi set in the future, EG lets me look past the differences and recognize enough of myself in the protagonist to totally feel for her.

If you're not too traumatized to revisit one of the most emotionally difficult school years, check it out. You'll probably leave feeling better than when you came in.

No comments:

Post a Comment