Tuesday, September 4, 2018

The American Friend (1977)

So much for my projection about not seeing more from Wim Wenders. Guess I was too interested in yet another European adaptation of a Patricia Highsmith novel. That Tom Ripley sure got some international popularity. It's also further honor for late cinematographer Robert Müller on my part.

Tom (Dennis Hopper) is the titular "friend" -- still not a real one by conventional standards. Indeed, protagonist Jonathan (Bruno Ganz), a Hamburg art framer, gives him a cold initial greeting due to his reputation preceding him. Not long after, on a secret recommendation from Tom, a French mobster (Gérard Blain) invites Jonathan to serve as a hit man, the idea being that his lack of criminal history makes him harder to trace and his terminal leukemia means he has little to lose. Since Jonathan hasn't saved much for his wife (Lisa Kreuzer) and young son, he agrees in desperation.

Of course, there's a downside to hiring a sick man. Jonathan gets clumsy and inattentive in ways I don't picture myself getting. He also has an increasingly hard time keeping his wife in the dark. It's hard to admire anything about him.

Alas, it's also hard to admire Tom this time around. He proves valuable as an assistant once his aversion to Jonathan wears off, but he doesn't make any exceptional moves. Well, this is adapted from Ripley's Game rather than The Talented Mr. Ripley, so maybe he has less hype to live up to. I thought he might be like Hannibal Lecter, doing best on screen in a supporting role, but that's not evident.

Despite my seemingly simple synopsis, TAF is a bit much to take in on first viewing. Highsmith herself liked it a lot better after giving it a second chance. Maybe I will someday, just not soon.

Don't get me wrong; I can tell that it works as a neo-noir is supposed to work. It has the realism, the pacing, the shots, the acting (despite a bunch of directors as actors), and naturally the attitude. But there's a reason I waited a while to write this review. You have to give TAF plenty of time to marinate in its bitter sauce before you can feel strongly about it one way or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment