Saturday, April 6, 2019

Old Yeller (1957)

This is one of those movies of which people, at least in my circles, talk about only one moment. In the past, this would tell me that I had no need to watch it. But I learned from The Crying Game that there might be a whole lot more worth viewing.

In the wake of the Civil War, the Kansan Coates family has been subsistence farming long enough that adolescent Travis barely remembers how cash looks and single-digit Arliss didn't know the concept of money before the first scene. Their father goes to rectify this by taking a job that will keep him away from home for months. Soon the remaining family encounters a stray, yellowish (hence the name) mutt who initially causes trouble. Travis would like to be rid of the dog, but Arliss begs to differ, and their mother takes pity on the kid with no playmate otherwise. Gradually, Travis recognizes the redeeming values of "Old Yeller."

Of course, you probably already know that their companionship does not last to the end of the story. It helped seal the reputation of the Newbery Medal signaling heartbreak, and it made OY a likely choice for the saddest live-action Disney flick ever. If, by some chance, no one has told you, I'll drop a hint: Midway through, a visitor warns of a "hydrophoby" epidemic. Also, there might be more on-screen blood than in any other 20th-century Disney feature.

Now, Disney has made me nearly cry on several occasions, but I was concerned that knowing the tragic turn in advance would reduce its effectiveness. First I, too, would have to grow fond of Old Yeller, or at least of the bond between him and one or both of the boys. I found myself more or less mirroring Travis's mixed reactions. The half-bad, barely cute dog is almost unbelievable in his apparent understanding of the humans and his repeatedly heroic loyalty. (I was a little worried that the various animals on the set weren't treated well, but my sources list no red flags.) When the time came, I sighed internally but thought, "That's the way of it." I chalk this up less to foreknowledge than to general experience.

Would I have been touched more deeply if we got to see Arliss's reaction to the news? Uncertain. If you're closer in maturity to Travis, you're liable to find Arliss an obnoxious if not appalling brat. He has the gall to throw rocks at the dog's rightful owner. His use of "my dog" (not even "our," when he doesn't do the bulk of the caretaking) indicates selfishness. He says, "Mind your own business," when told not to dirty the homestead's drinking water, and he's slow to obey any authority. Why does nobody take a switch to him? I suspect he's supposed to be below the age of reason, younger than the actor's 8 or 9 years, altho a similar movie demonstrated how youthful a 19th-century rural boy could seem to me. But no matter what his background, there's no excuse for grabbing a bear cub and not letting go as the mother runs toward him -- and as his own mother shouts for him to let go. Old Yeller might have wanted to trade boys with Lassie after that.

This is not to say that I hold Travis utterly blameless. He makes a few social gaffes, especially when close-in-age neighbor Lisbeth tries to do right by him. I think sometimes he dwells on one character, especially Old Yeller, too much to pay due attention to others.

Anyway, I appreciate that the film ends on an affirming note without getting into an irresponsible level of optimism. I can see how it would have been a formative part of many a kid's life, especially among Baby Boomers. But having grown up without it, I find it basically just OK. It won't do much to enrich my life, but neither do I want those 83 minutes back.

No comments:

Post a Comment