Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Turning Red (2022)

After my previous viewing, I wanted something lighthearted, preferably with a bit more femininity. This was the first option to come to mind. I'd heard mixed things about it, but none of the downsides sounded like dealbreakers to me. Besides, I wanted an informed opinion of the controversies.

Mei (Rosalie Chiang), 13, likes to think she's her own woman despite consistently following her mother, Ming (Sandra Oh). Alas, Ming's protectiveness can get horribly embarrassing, which awakens a female-only family blessing/curse that turns Mei into an eight-foot red panda when her emotions get the better of her. Calming down restores her humanity and clothing in a puff of smoke. Her new shape doesn't affect her behavior or even her voice, but she still tries to hide if not get rid of it -- until her peers enlighten her to enough upsides. If only Ming and other relatives who have suppressed their pandas would respect Mei's feelings...

Domee Shi had previously directed only the short Bao, which crossed my mind when the same cuisine appeared on screen. It's clear that her first feature film is partly inspired by her own life; why else would it be set in 2002 Toronto? The time and place are less plot important than the Chinese heritage, reflected in home decor, mysticism, superstition, and, well, perfectionism. The main signs of the past, besides a dearth of mobile phones, are the kids' love of digital pet toys and a boy band. I personally associate both those crazes with the late '90s, but maybe they persisted later for slightly younger kids.

I might as well address the elephant-size panda in the room now: It's not exactly about periods. We don't know whether Mei has had one by the epilogue. The movie spends maybe a minute all told dancing around the subject with phrases like "Did the red peony bloom?" Nevertheless, there are enough hints for a six-year-old viewer to ask a question that a parent may not be comfortable answering. For that reason, I tentatively decline to add a "family" tag. This need not be shameful for Pixar, but it's fair to warn you that the brand is no longer synonymous with "for all ages." I would be hypocritical to decry TR on that basis, since I loved Who Framed Roger Rabbit at age six and later realized how much of it would have made me blush to show a six-year-old.

In truth, I'm not even sure how much the panda transformation stands in for puberty. Yes, it causes Mei to need deodorant. But she hadn't been warned because Ming had expected it not to come for some time. Who fully expects a 13-year-old girl not to undergo puberty yet? Maybe it's more broadly about an adolescent coming into her own, discovering abilities and interests to distinguish her from her friends and family.

Some viewers complain that Mei is obnoxious. I find that to be the case mostly in the beginning, when she's cocky, obtrusive, and excelling at almost everything she does. Of course, viewers her age or younger might admire the same traits. Once her life took a turn toward hard-to-handle stress (no surprise for eighth grade), I sympathized enough to overlook what I disliked about her before. She didn't fall short of my expectations like Merida in Brave, if only because I had lowered them. Perhaps it helps that Ming is only slightly more likable than Lady Bird's mom.

Guess I should talk a little about the other characters. Mei normally hangs out with semi-leader Miriam (Ava Morse), whom Ming disapproves, possibly for her tomboy ways; Priya (Maitreyi Ramakrishnan), with the emotionality of Daria Morgendorffer; and Abby (Hyein Park), who quite contrasts with Priya in hyperness. Classmate Tyler (Tristan Allerick Chen) may be the most prominent male character; unfortunately, he's pretty mean. Mei's dad (Orion Lee) mostly keeps to himself. The other familiar name to me is voiceover mainstay James Hong, playing a Chinatown shaman. And Mei's grandma (Wai Ching Ho) may be more intimidating than Ming.

One complaint I've heard not about TR in particular but about Hollywood in general is the trend of Asian characters dyeing their hair, as if to suggest they have too little identity otherwise. That crossed my mind when Mei's reversion was incomplete, leaving her human hair red-orange -- and cool in the eyes of her non-Asian posse. At least it bears some significance beyond decoration.

On that note, I'd like to discuss the visual quality. It's as colorful as usual for Disney/Pixar, Mei's expressive fluffy form is moderately cute (and no doubt marketable), and I always welcome Chinese trappings. But something's off about the faces. I think the infamous CalArts style has started to afflict even high-end CG studios.

The other noise about TR pertains to the resolution. Are we to understand that Mei is completely right to rebel against her mom? To let her grades suffer, as we briefly see? To run the risk of becoming highly destructive? For my part, I don't disagree with most of Mei's moves under the circumstances, apart from the ones she goes on to regret. It can be hard to read applicable life lessons into fantasy tales. Anyway, I've enjoyed other family flicks with questionable apparent morals.

Despite Shi's hopes, I wouldn't bet on a sequel or prequel. Audience reactions aside, it just doesn't have that kind of plot. If a sequel does happen, I can only hope that Shi gets better at writing by then.

For the most part, I enjoyed this experience. If you haven't resolved to boycott Disney, I say give it a whirl. Just don't bring the kids unless you think they're ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment