Friday, March 3, 2023

All Quiet on the Western Front (2022)

The 1930 adaptation of the Erich Maria Remarque novel was my favorite Academy Best Picture of the decade. How could a remake live up to it? Well, for one thing, the visual quality hasn't aged well. Also, its "Germans" make no attempt not to sound like Americans, whereas this version was German-made.

In 1917, four teenage friends, the most focal being Paul (Felix Kammerer), are moved to join the German army. They soon find themselves in a northern French trench with the more seasoned "Kat" (Albrecht Schuch), who helps steal food for them. About a year passes in total. As for the rest, all I really need to tell you is that the source material is antiwar....

It became clear to me in no time that this is better described as a readaptation, not a remake, because it takes no apparent cues from the previous hit film. From what I can tell, it's a little less faithful to the book, but not outrageously so. Perhaps the most notable changes are the added scenes in which German and French officers discuss an armistice. I appreciate those scenes, partly for providing relief from all the battlefield viewing and partly for highlighting awareness that every minute's delay means more casualties.

And believe me, there is no shortage of on-screen casualties. I knew it was only a matter of time before I'd see a soldier vomit. If I can trace any inspiration to other movies, I venture Saving Private Ryan had a hand in the more high-octane sequences. And heck, why not 1917?

The feature does an impeccable job of immersion. I kept feeling like more of my senses than sight and sound were engaged. Uncomfortable, yes, but that's the point. I could almost forget that this was the past. Never before had I found tanks and flamethrowers so scary.

In the end, this is about as emotionally effective as modern antiwar movies get. See it when you feel up to 148 minutes of torment.

No comments:

Post a Comment