Saturday, April 29, 2023

Little Lord Fauntleroy (1921)

Since Netflix announced that DVD service will discontinue in September, I've decided to prioritize what's unlikely to stream. In this case, it also turned out to remind me what I won't miss about DVDs: Sometimes they freeze and skip. Thankfully, I didn't miss anything important.

In 1880s New York City, preadolescent Cedric (Mary Pickford!) has no idea who his dead father was until he becomes next in line for an earldom. He's not happy to have to leave his friends or his dream of becoming president, and he's been led to believe that British nobles are rotten. His grandfather (Claude Gillingwater) isn't happy either, because he hates Americans too much to greet Cedric's mother (also Mary Pickford!), who must live in a separate building he owns. Nevertheless, Cedric charms the old curmudgeon and his servants, enabling much-needed generosity to the poor in his domain. But there arises a question of whether someone else actually ranks ahead of Cedric and, if so, where he should live....

This has to be the earliest movie I've seen in which one person plays two different characters in the same frames. I'm impressed the makers pulled it off so well. And yes, Pickford looks passable for both. It helps that young boys of the era had a very girlish style by later standards. Cedric does want to shorten his hair, but even his preferred length is pretty long.

In spite of that, this adaptation of the Frances Hodgson Burnett story has had only a modest reception. I chose it partly to get acquainted with a familiar literary title and partly to know more about a once highly successful Hollywood actress. I admit the plot is rather simple for a 112-minute runtime and low on serious drama when you'd expect it. The resolution is easy if not predictable. Perhaps more popular versions hew closer to the original text.

Still, I wouldn't have asked for much more, aside from restoration. What we get is sweet, and the intended comic moments work for me. Maybe I'm more forgiving of silents than many viewers.

If this proves to be my last Pickford pic, it'll do fine. But I have more oldies lined up....

No comments:

Post a Comment