Thursday, May 30, 2019

Booksmart (2019)

I wasn't particularly taken with what I knew of this movie going in. Sure, I was a high school nerd once, but it's not really my scene anymore, and modern comedies are always a gamble for me. But it had been a while since I last accepted a Meetup invitation. Besides, I liked Eighth Grade, and this might not be so different.

Valedictorian Molly and her one friend, Amy, feel pretty good about having prioritized study over everything else -- until they learn that their party-going classmates also got into prestigious schools. Now they, especially Molly, want to attend a wild pre-graduation party so they don't miss out on the experience altogether. Their first major obstacle is even finding the party they have in mind, since they received no personal invitation. Obviously, it wouldn't be much of a story if they didn't end up forming interesting memories, but will their efforts be worth the costs?

Early on, I thought I detected homophobic humor, judging from the flamboyant male drama students (I almost said "drama queens"). That soon looked unlikely: Amy is an open lesbian, and that aspect is not played for laughs. OK, it's funny when her parents get the wrong idea about her and Molly, but her shy crush on the suspiciously masculine-named Ryan is serious enough, if a bit cute.

The other big thing to know about Molly and Amy is that they are liberal enough to make Lady Bird look like Nancy Reagan. Molly wants to use her power as class president for a positive change, much to the annoyance of the principal. She and Amy even use "Malala" as something of an intensified "please" for each other. If that's far from your political preference, don't worry; it has no bearing on the plot.

The R rating is primarily for swearing and explicit sex talk. There is a sex scene, but we don't get to see any private parts. This isn't Heathers, so not much violence. As for drugs, let's just say the heroines don't take any on purpose.

Does it get gross? A little. I correctly guessed that there'd be on-screen vomit at some point. It's just that kind of comedy. Not to say that it's utterly predictable, but it had to follow a formula in a few ways.

Does it get funny? I admit to chuckling now and then, which means a lot coming from me. To my slight surprise, the heroines sometimes laugh heartily at their own misfortunes. I can appreciate that rarity.

Is it believable? More or less. There's no shortage of exaggerated characters, but they're not cookie-cutter to my eyes. The only one who beggars belief is Gigi, who keeps showing up where Molly and Amy have just arrived and never explains how she works so quickly. (Debuting director Olivia Wilde actually squeezed in extra scenes for Gigi because she's so good.)

I'd say the best thing about BS (heh) is that it's not too cynical or mean-spirited. Everyone -- and we get to know quite a few -- is morally flawed but has a sympathetic and respectable side. Even the apparent serial killer, while hardly redeemed, dispenses sage advice. The major takeaway, in fact, is that whoever you've looked down on probably doesn't merit your scorn.

Overall, it's a little better than I dared hope. If you were ever like Molly or Amy, you'll probably enjoy it. Others should find it at least OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment