Friday, March 4, 2022

Star Wars, Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

Boy, how unpopular does a modern Star Wars movie have to be for me to wait more than two years to check it out? This isn't even a stand-alone; it's the conclusion of the numbered series, and I'd hate to end my knowledge with the unresolved prior episode. Well, what finally spurred me to watch it was a set of diminishing options for passing time on my flight. Most of the remaining movies were either unknown to me, even more panned, or not suited to my mood at the time.

One of the first things we learn is something I never saw coming: Emperor Palpatine (Ian McDiarmid) is back, and not as a ghost. He claims credit for directing the First Order behind the scenes and corrupting Kylo Ren (Adam Driver), whom he now bids kill the last Jedi, Rey (Daisy Ridley). As impressive as Rey was before, she feels that she has a lot to learn before taking on Palpatine. Good thing she still has plenty of allies, old and new, and Kylo isn't as committed as he once was.

I had previously observed an increase in known powers of the Force. TRoS introduces so many more that I got dizzy trying to sort out what happens. I suppose that's better than getting dizzy from visuals.

I can see what people meant about the story feeling like two movies' worth mashed together in 142 minutes. Not only was Rian Johnson evidently uninterested in J.J. Abrams' plans; Abrams returned the disfavor. We can only imagine how much smoother things would have gone if Abrams had directed the whole trilogy. On the plus side, packing the plot means less time for gratuitous slowness.

Other than that, I didn't really notice during my viewing why people acted like TRoS was the worst entry this side of The Phantom Menace. It doesn't preach questionable values. It doesn't kill off or ruin any beloved classic heroes except Leia, and given Carrie Fisher's death, that seemed inevitable. It delivers what I had expected before I ever heard any details: space fantasy action in which good prevails over evil.

Of course, you may take that with a grain of salt when you know how satisfied I was with Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull at first. On further reflection, I can't think of any innovative action sequences or fresh environments in TRoS to liven things up. And from the IMDb quotes page, it must be sorely lacking in choice lines. The only time I felt like applauding was at the surprise entrance of a familiar face.

You can call it a retread stew, with bits of formula without sturdy organization. But like many a literal stew, it can be fulfilling as long as you don't demand stronger flavors. Perhaps it takes a casual fan to appreciate.

No comments:

Post a Comment