Saturday, July 15, 2023

Police Story (1985)

Had I realized I was about to see another action flick, I would not have put this next on my queue. Still, it's not all that similar. No sci-fi here, just the slightly off physics of Jackie Chan.

Hong Kong policeman Chan Ka-Kui (Chan) gets some positive attention for arresting crime lord Chu Tao (Chor Yuen), but convicting him will be tough. Ka-Kui is assigned to guard a reluctant witness, Chu's secretary (Brigitte Lin), who manages to slip away, disbelieving his claims of danger. A subplot involves his girlfriend (Maggie Cheung) getting the wrong idea about the two of them. Not content to beat the charges, Chu arranges to frame Ka-Kui for murder. Chief Inspector Raymond Li (Lam Kwok-Hung) trusts Ka-Kui but is too by-the-book to forgo an arrest, so Ka-Kui runs off to deal with matters irregularly.

Not that Ka-Kui was big on protocol in the first place. I'm not sure about the laws of that time and place, but it's clear that he and his team did a lot to tick off Li in the opening operation. And he still seems the most professional in the field.

As martial art fests go, this is pretty well written. The story isn't paper thin, blatantly impossible, or rife with stupidity. I'd say it's on par with contemporary Hollywood. Many minutes can pass between action scenes, typically involving comedy beyond slapstick. A few gags would not go over well with today's U.S. viewers, nor would the women who, while offering the occasional assist, are more likely to scream than fight. But again, consider the era.

Chan has cemented himself as my favorite martial artist, precisely because he combines genuine physical skills with humor. He's at his best when doing something innovative, as with an improvised weapon or unorthodox backdrop. A clip from the climax had persuaded me to watch this movie in the first place.

PS doesn't make me want to check out a sequel, but neither do I regret those 100 minutes. It's just engaging enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment